The mission of the DEAEF Youth Programs is to provide children with a free and positive after-school alternative to drugs through the fun, healthy, and expressive art form of dance and sports.
Curriculum Topics and Impact
All DEAEF Youth Programs focus on the following curriculum areas throughout the sessions:
- Youth and Drug Abuse: statistics and harmful effects of drugs on youth
- Building Self-Esteem: through opportunities to learn new skills
- Team-Building: working together to make healthy choices
- Self-Expression: safe environment to explore feelings through physical activity
- Local Story: hometown drug and violence issues
- Healthy Lifestyle: movement, nutrition, and a drug-free body
- Responsibility & Academics: commitment, respect and modeling good behavior
- Resisting Peer Pressure: learn language and self-esteem to say no to drugs
- Living Their Dreams: positive risks that build confidence
- Community Involvement: become positive role models in their community
DEAEF Youth Programs offer opportunities for DEA agents and field office teams, as well as DEAEF educators and partners, to interact with students and share their knowledge and experiences to educate young people about the dangers of drug use and abuse.
DEAEF Youth Dance Program
The DEAEF Youth Dance Program (YDP), a part of the DEA Educational Foundation, was established to empower kids by providing a free and positive afterschool alternative to drugs through the fun, healthy, and expressive art form of dance.
- Launch assembly featuring local professional dance companies including DEAEF messaging of choosing positive alternatives to drugs and violence, DEA field office support.
- 20 weeks/sessions of weekly dance class after school taught by a local professional dance teacher (free of charge to the students).
- Final assembly for parents and school featuring DEAEF Youth Dancers (includes DEAEF YDP t-shirts, certificate of completion signed by DEAEF Regional Managers President).
- Summer/Spring Break Camp Opportunities
DEAEF Youth Baseball Program
By reaching out to America’s schools and under the well-established DEA Educational Foundation, the DEAEF Youth Baseball Program (YBP) will inspire youth with healthy and drug-free messages, and encourage them to exercise and to focus on positive training and discipline through the activity of baseball.
- Drug Awareness launch assembly featuring local professional baseball coaches and DEA field office support.
- 20 weeks of baseball training after school with a professional coach and mentor (including all needed supplies and field space).
- Class trip to a baseball game (this program feature will be reinstated post-Covid).
- Scholarships to a local baseball program (Little League).
DEAEF Youth Martial Arts Program
The DEAEF Youth Martial Arts Program (YMAP), a part of the DEA Educational Foundation, was established to empower kids by providing a free and positive afterschool alternative to drugs through the fun, healthy, and expressive activity of martial arts.
- Drug Awareness launch assembly featuring local martial arts instructors and local DEA field support.
- Twenty weeks of martial arts training after school with a professional instructor and needed supplies.
- Certificate/belt presentations
Additional Youth Programs
Using the models of the three sponsored programs YDP, YBP, and YMAP we have developed programs in Art, Basketball, Culinary Arts, Soccer, Kickball, Lacrosse and other fun and positive alternative activities to drug abuse and misuse for youth.
In addition, we also partner with Babyscientist Inc. to bring STEM programs to teaching them about the impact of chemicals on cells, careers in science and more and, we host special one-day events such as Hooked on Fishing, Not on Drugs, Health and Wellness events, support DEA Academies and Summits and more.
- Youth Summits
- Youth Video Contests
- Youth Leadership Conferences
- Youth Speaker Series
- Hooked on Fishing, Not on Drugs
- Drug Abuse Awareness Seminars
- Spring Break Workshops/Summer Camps
- Health and Wellness Days
- Dr. McDowell’s Babyscientist, Inc.